Wednesday, December 03, 2003

The Theory of Evolution

I’m in a restless mood today. Here’s a question I’ve been tossing around in my head for a while now. Lately I’ve noticed on several occasions various different people say the following: “I could give two shits.” Now here’s the question. Just when did this phrase change from, “I couldn’t give a shit” to “I could give two shits”? Let’s think about this for just a moment. First, isn’t the point of saying this to convey the fact that you don’t care about something so much that you wouldn’t even put forth the effort to defecate about it? So, the word should be “couldn’t” and not “could”. Second, and this is the one I'm most intrigued by, this original phrase changed over time. Here is my theory as to how this may have occurred: Someone at some point, I’ll call her Jane, had a conversation with someone else, he’ll be Dick, and said “I couldn’t give a shit”. Dick then said, “Oh yeah, well I think I could at least give a shit Jane. In fact Jane, I think I could give two shits. Yeah, I could give two shits!” And there we have it. Inflation in action. Thoughts appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com