Monday, February 20, 2006

Something I Needed, well besides a kick in the head...

This long weekend ended up being a pretty full one despite my plan to relax. Not complaining, it actually was good and even though I’m not at all rested and ready to hit this work week hard, these last few days were an unintended lesson for me. It started off on Saturday spending time with a small group of friends that have been a big part of my life over the past four years. A baby shower at first thought, not exactly my idea of a fun Saturday night. Throw in the facts that it was for a former co-worker and her husband, was hosted at another former co-worker’s new house and attended by a few more former co-workers, all who are good friends, and suddenly it becomes an evening I’ve been looking forward to for a couple of weeks. It was a fun time with a group of people who for a while I spent pretty much most of my life with for several years. I took away from it that even though our lives have all gone through some major changes, we have managed to remain in contact and very much care about each other. Next was Sunday morning and brunch with my ex. I hadn’t seen him in over five years. There are very few people in your life that you can go literally years not seeing and be as comfortable with them the moment you’re in the same room again. He is one of those people. I met him six days before I turned 23. He was 23. We are now 39. Sitting across from him at the restaurant table felt like something I had done a thousand times before. He’s got a little salt and pepper happening on the sides of hair. Probably no more gray than I have in mine. Other than that, exactly how I remember him. He doesn’t even look any older. He is doing exactly what he set out to do. We had some of the same views on topics that we always did. I could have done without finding out his oldest niece is 18 and has graduated from high school (I met her when she was two!) but other than that I walked away feeling warm inside. He will always have a big place in my heart. Sunday evening Laura and I had a couple over that we’ve been spending time with. Getting to know them a lot better. It’s nice to have another couple to get together with. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a situation to appreciate something like this. We had dinner, watched some TV and at 8:00 we were all kicking each other’s asses playing Playstation 2. Today, the general flow of the weekend continued. One of my very old friends came over for the first time to see my place. I think we’ve known each other since I was about 25. He loved my place and it turns out he went to high school just a block away from where I live. My neighborhood brought back all kinds of memories for him. My brother joined us a little later. We ordered food, talked, laughed and once again played some Playstation 2. That multi-tap makes for a fun, fun time. Overall, this weekend taught me that in my life I have effected and been effected by so many great people. Sometimes I need to remind myself of that. Sometimes I forget to. I suppose this time, this weekend was meant to play itself out the way it did for this reason. I will go back to work tired but pleased and with a warmed heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com