Sunday, June 26, 2005

Mi Familia

I bought new furniture this weekend. Laura dragged me to this store where she just bought a chair for her living room and got a great deal. I need to buy a coffee table and a computer armoire. So, naturally I left the store with a receipt for a dining table and a bed frame. Isn’t that how it always goes? I can’t really complain because I really did get a great deal on both of them. I wanted to eventually replace my old table but it certainly wasn’t necessary for me to do right now. This damn table though, it was just one of those things that you see and all of the sudden you can't live without. I must have walked around the showroom three times and kept on finding myself back at this table. As for the bed frame, I had wanted to buy a wrought iron frame from the time I got my bedroom furniture; about three years ago. I just never got around to it. While I was there, I just decided to take a look at the catalogs and see what was available. I fell hard for this really great and different looking one. Got a great deal on it too AND the store was having one of those, pay no sales tax deals. I placed the order and am having them hold off on shipping to coincide with the closing of my escrow. So this morning I’m having my usual Sunday morning phone call with my Dad. He asks what’s new and I tell him about my new furniture. His response? “For what?” Meaning, what did I buy furniture for when I have no home to put it in. Nice, huh? He had a nice chuckle over that. A little later I’m talking to my Mom and I tell her about my purchases. She says, “That’s great Mija, but it would be even better if you had a place to put all the stuff!” Then she proceeds to laugh into my ear. What is it with both of them? They’ve been having a nice laugh at my homeless-ass expense for months now. Somehow I’m beginning to think that they have some sort of deep-seeded sense of fulfillment in seeing my foundation being shaken up. My entire family has always looked at me as the one who never loses control of any situation, has my “head on right” and always seems to achieve all my life’s goals, unlike most of them. Of course, they couldn’t be further from the truth which just goes to prove how little they all really do know me. Whatever it is that is giving them this pleasure, I guess I should just let it play itself out. Maybe I’m just reading into this more than there really is but something tells me I’m right on my suspicions. I really believe our parents always believe they want better for us than they had. However, when it really comes to fruition, there is a twinge of jealousy that rears its unsuspecting head. It’s probably natural but it still feels very strange to me. Definitely something I will remember and will watch for when they come to visit me in my new place. Families… It’s really no wonder I enjoy living 400 miles away from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com