Monday, September 19, 2005

I'm Coming Back, Peace by Piece

I am surrounded by my life. My life compartmentalized into cardboard squares. This is truly unlike any other moving experience I have ever had. The last place I lived in for seven years. Longer than any other places I’ve ever lived as an adult. My move out of there was sudden and abrupt. No time for me to rearrange my work schedule. My life was piece by piece contained by someone I hired to do so. That was back in March. Today is September 18th and I am seeing most of who, what and how I am for the first time in five very long months. It’s foreign and comforting all at the same time. My very own place, for the very first time. My first purchased property. My huge grown-up commitment. Right now I feel so far away from what I once was it’s like I’m doing everything for the very first time. My refrigerator is completely empty except for a few cans of Diet Barq’s Root Beer and half of a bean and cheese burrito. Today I had to go out and buy mustard. Mustard - because I don’t own any. As I walked through the grocery store I realized that for anything I want to eat I had to make sure I had everything I needed, down to the spices; even salt and pepper. I have been living without a home for so long I had forgotten how much I assumed would always be available to me at home. Box by box I am coming back to life. A new life. A new home. A new job. A new city. I will appreciate all that I have in my life like I never have before. Tonight I will sleep in my bed with myself for the very first time in five months. Peaceful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com