Wednesday, August 24, 2005

On the Radio

I’ve been finding myself listening to more and more talk radio these days. I’ve rarely listened to the radio over the past several years anyway but these mostly were music stations. I just couldn’t buy into any of the crap music being shoved down our throats. A few months ago I bought a Delphi MyFi XM2Go unit and subscribed to XM Radio. I absolutely love it! I don’t even really listen to my Dell Jukebox much anymore. At first I was devouring all the music I could that I would rarely hear otherwise, Blues, Latin, Reggae, Country and even some Classical and a few Showtunes now and then. Over the past few weeks though I can’t seem to move from channel 167, Air America. I’d been listening to it from time to time streaming. Now it’s the Al Franken Show in its entirety, the Majority Report with Janeane Garafalo and Sam Seder in the afternoon. Sometimes I’ll even catch a little Jerry Springer and Randi Rhodes. It’s easy to listen on the road right now that I’ve had long commutes to and from work. It’s easy to listening at my desk while I plow through paperwork. This morning when the radio turned on in my car it was on KFI, I guess I was checking the traffic yesterday. Anyway, Rush Limbaugh was on. I decided to listen for a few minutes. It’s always good to listen from time to time to one of these idiots just to see what is being said, I think. He was talking about how divided the Democratic party was. He kept hounding on the fact that “those people” only care about one thing – hating Bush. He went on to say, Democrats fail to see that the election is over, Bush is not running for anything. Therefore, according to Rush, it is pointless to dislike what he is doing and that the party’s efforts should be concentrating on banding together and working towards a common cause. I hate to admit it, but he does have a point. I hear a lot of lies being divulged, mistakes being pointed out, cover ups being exposed and corruption, corruption, corruption talked about to death. What I don’t seem to be hearing is enough about what we should be doing about it. Yes, we should all keep ourselves up-to-date with day-to-day news. Yes, we should talk about it with each other. But beyond all of this, what is really being discussed about getting the party strong, finding good leadership and taking hold of the reigns? I once heard someone say when discussing the gay community, “Where’s our Malcolm X or Martin Luther King?” Today we need one of these for the Democratic party. Until this happens, what scares me is that the GOP is organized and I don’t see this changing unless someone steps up against them. Who is that going to be and when?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com