Thursday, July 13, 2006

No Place For Gays

I love the Caribbean. I’ve always wanted to visit Jamaica. The more I learn about it unfortunately, the more I realize I have no business spending my hard earned money and precious free time there. Today I read an article announcing that a recent benefit concert was cancelled due to an outcry by the ‘black bloggers’. Upon reading more I discovered that LIFEbeat had scheduled an upcoming concert in New York. LIFEbeat is an organization devoted to raising money and awareness in the fight against HIV/AIDS through music. For some asinine reason two of the scheduled performers at the “Reggae Gold Live” concert were well-known for their anti-gay stances, which they promote in the lyrics of their music. According to LIFEbeat, they were aware of the views of Beenie Man and TOK but thought their presence would “create dialogue around AIDS and the Caribbean-American community" and an "opportunity for groundbreaking change and good to come from it." Then suddenly, after all the protests, the organization cancelled the entire concert and stated the reason being "the possibility of violence". I had heard of these artists but had not heard their music. So I pulled up some lyrics of the songs that were mentioned. Beenie Man’s “Han Up Deh” is a song that calls for hanging Lesbians and shooting Gays. TOK’s “Chi Chi Man” also preaches of murdering gays. I remember when I scheduled my vacation to Aruba a couple of years ago I looked at Jamaica and discovered that they were extremely homophobic on the island. I never like to generalize but in this case it’s pretty damn accurate to make that statement. I mean we’re talking to the extent that their gay organization, JFLAG (Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, All-Sexuals and Gays) won’t even publish where their offices are for fear they will be confronted. The group itself was founded by a man named Brian Williamson who was murdered for being gay just back in 2004, the year I went to Aruba. In December of 2005, just seven months ago, Steve Harvey was murdered also for being gay. Steve Harvey worked for an organization called Jamaican AIDS Support for Life where he ran a support program for gay and transgender people with HIV/AIDS. While reading into this I stumbled upon a travel site called All-Jamaica.com. Under their section called Gay & Lesbian Travelers, it encourages us to visit but points out that “homosexual intercourse” is in fact illegal there. It then goes on to promote visiting and says “Just don't expect to be able to display your sexuality openly without an adverse reaction.” Most local gays are also afraid to report hate crimes due to the fact the police pretty much take offense to them as well. Anytime I am in an unfamiliar place I obviously take notice of anything that might indicate I could be in “anti-gay company”. I realize that I will probably have to do that throughout my entire life. Whether it be starting a new job, moving to a new place, or something as simple as going to a new romantic restaurant with my partner. Spending an entire vacation surrounded by homophobia is an entirely different level though. Not only would I not ever feel as if I could relax (thus defeating the point), I think I would always have a bad taste about financially supporting their tourist industry. It’s really too bad that such a beautiful part of this world, not to mention how friendly and laid back they like to consider themselves, has such hatred for our community. Guess it looks like Monica won’t be getting her groove back there anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com